Travelling may seem like an easy thing to do but in fact it can be a lot of hard work, especially if you’re on a tight budget. A heavy backpack, public transport, hotel hunting, getting lost and finding your way again… can leave you quite exhausted. We’re not complaining, mind you, but sometimes, for the sake of maintaining balance we make a little vacation on vacation. This means we get anchored in one place and completely lack time for anything.
We chose Pangkor island for our Malaysian retreat. We found a relaxed guesthouse immersed in nature and secured our own mini house. We didn’t find any time for:
– a trip to a promising jungle just outside the guesthouse
– renting bikes and exploring the small island
– taking a taxi to the town and buying ingredients to cook our own dinner
We did find some time to:
– pay a visit to the nearby beach (two times!) combined with consumption of outrageously expensive beer (Muslim taxes)
– gorge on seafood, inlcuding the best squid ever and be totally defeated by chili in a delicious Thai tom yam soup
– cool ourselves off with ice-coffee and lemonade
– feed the local attraction – the beautiful hornbills – with bananas
– admire sunsets
As well as do some hard blogging work. That’s about it. We promise improvement next time.